PDA

View Full Version : Gender roles?

Crazee
03-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Do you think that women should generally act a certain way, and men should too? I know there are exceptions, but who do you feel about the way gender roles are used in society?

Or gender roles dictated by the culture, or by genetics?

Do you feel it's more acceptable for women to act like men, or the reverse? Why?

Disscuss...this and MORE!

lol

shortie
03-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Androginy is a great topic.

I won't lie, I despise the fact that Nick got an easy bake oven for Christmas from his grandparents. I feel like children need to be raised playing with toys like the sex they were born into. If they want to deal with gender issues later, that's on them.

As far as being an adult, do whatever you feel like. I do a lot of things that are 'men's jobs', such as mowing the lawn. I refuse to change the oil or do anything remotely close to car work, I drive and put gas in it, that should be good enough.

It's probably more acceptable for females to take on maleness in society. For our lifetimes, it has been common for woman to work outside the home. It's still odd for a male to be a stay at home dad, but it is slowly becoming more and more common.

unknown_
03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
It bothers me when women act like men, its disturbing and just I dunno, i hate it.

Jon Bon Jovi
03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Nope. Equal rights and yada yada..

Saoirse
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I think both men and women were created differently and both are supposed to play different roles. Now this doesn't mean one is superior to the other. I believe that the greatest harmony springs from difference.

unknown_
03-01-2006, 09:49 PM
I think both men and women were created differently and both are supposed to play different roles. Now this doesn't mean one is superior to the other. I believe that the greatest harmony springs from difference.
Exactly, womens purpuose is to please guys.

Saoirse
03-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Exactly, womens purpuose is to please guys.
lol well both genders complete ecah other and are supposed to please each other.
Women are not sex toys:p

unknown_
03-01-2006, 10:00 PM
lol well both genders complete ecah other and are supposed to please each other.
Women are not sex toys:p
I didn't mean in a sexual way but yea that too. They need to cook dinner and wash the dishes and laundry and whatnot.

Saoirse
03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
^ well, men are supposed to help them! we can't do everything on our own!! (unless the woman doesn't work and the man does)

unknown_
03-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Yea but if i'm workin and she's not, she better have my food ready and the house cleaned when i get home.

Saoirse
03-01-2006, 10:23 PM
^ I agree here. it won't be fair if you came back tired and hungry and the house is all dirty and there is no food!!

sanely_insane
03-01-2006, 10:53 PM
whatever floats your boats and yada yada lol

DeA†h
03-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Women should NEVER act like men,..'cause then the whole world would be gay

Crazee
03-02-2006, 12:01 AM
I think there are a lot of women who spend way too much time trying to change gender roles...switch them, even.

Our school systems and media are promoting feminized men, and career-driven distant women. This may be "equal", but so was the previous system. It is no more enlightened or progressive, though. Now instead of praising traditional roles, we praise the opposite. True progress is praising neither.

*A*
03-02-2006, 12:14 AM
I still don't know why we should act a certain way, according to our sex.

For instance, people have always said that girls don't or can't fart, and act like only guys do it. I mean, what the fuck. We're humans, so we have to fart too. Same with eating, and shitting.

Crazee
03-02-2006, 12:21 AM
^Word. Stuff like that is ridicolous, obviously.

But studies have apparently shown that many gender behaviors are, in fact, genetic after all. Obviously, it's a different degree with each individual. Some have dominant traits, some recessive. But nevertheless, it's not merely the result of society and different standards like originally thought.

I just found it interesting.

I personally believe people should be free to be masculine or feminine in any way that they were created to be. But I find our current society's fixation on making things equal by reversing expectations (women should be more closed and single minded, men should be more emotional and open) quite ridicolous since all it does is tell people how they should be. How is that progress or equality? It's just a different form of control.

Jenuine
03-02-2006, 12:42 AM
I disagree with my own judgemental opinion on this.

I think guys that are feminine are gay.

Girls that act like guys are okay.

*A*
03-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Girls that act like guys usually are lesbians, though.

Jenuine
03-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Not usually.

There are lots of girls in the NBA and shit, that act like dudes, they arent gay.

Crazee
03-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Actually, to be emotionally distant and career-driven is acting like a man.

Which...would be many of our single mothers and successful business women.

Feminity is considered a weakness, and is thrown out...which I would argue is far greater sexism than women not working.

*A*
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Not usually.

There are lots of girls in the NBA and shit, that act like dudes, they arent gay.

I think tomboys are just closet dykes.

*MonkeyJaneJane
03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
It bothers me when women act like men, its disturbing and just I dunno, i hate it.

:-O i....ummmm....agree....

but yes i think we should act certain ways...i mean don't go and haul a damn tree across the woods and expect the men to be turned on...lmao...more like afraid of you, and yes i think men should act a certain way....to be honest my fiance had extremely great public repect thing...i can't think of the word, but he is very repsectful, and polite and what i think a man should act like...i dunno it's kinda hard to explain...when i'm out in public with him i act proper...that's the word! he acts proper extrememly proper..lol...and when i'm home i just let lose kinda thing

Jon Bon Jovi
03-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Yea but if i'm workin and she's not, she better have my food ready and the house cleaned when i get home.

I would actually want to do that for my man anyway. Me and my sister would always argue about it because she hardley ever cooked for her husband...and he worked hard...I was like you should. I dunno, I'd want to have dinner ready for him when he has been working. It's nice.

*MonkeyJaneJane
03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
^^^ i do....that's why i want to quite working..i would much rather stay home take care of my house, my kids, and take care of him, have his dinner ready, and have the laundry done, the house clean...i woudl much rather be a stay at home mom and be there when he opens the door! :D

Carnage™
03-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Should, or does a sheep act like a pig? No. Why? Because they don't know any better. It's natural for a sheep to act like a sheep. They don't have thousands of sheep around them acting a certain way because they want to be "cool" or they want to feel accepted or they feel that because they're a certain way they need to act a certain way. Or they feel because they like a certain thing they have to act a certain way to fit the image. The only reason certain people act feminine or masculine is because of the way society is - too many people are promoting it. In fact, a lot of the time it's just hype, it's not actually true. People think that women who are in the army are automatically masculine, why? Because like I said, it's being promoted. I mean, I don't really give a flying fuck how a girl acts or what a girl does at long as she stays feminine. I don't really care if a guy is gay, but it fucking annoys me when a guy wears pink and over pronounces his "S's" and shit. Do what the fuck you want, but if you're male, you're male, if you're female you're female. You can't change it.

Jon Bon Jovi
03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
^^^ i do....that's why i want to quite working..i would much rather stay home take care of my house, my kids, and take care of him, have his dinner ready, and have the laundry done, the house clean...i woudl much rather be a stay at home mom and be there when he opens the door! :D

Yeah, I'm the SAHM type. Even if I didn't have Aoraphobia and that I would rather stay at home with the kids, I'm just not the working type. That's what would come first for me..my man and kids. I know it's each to their own but I really don't understand these women that would rather work than be with their kids. It makes me quite sad. They won't be little forever.
And yeah the cooking thing...I'd want to cook for him. It's just when it's expected and not apreciated is when I'd maybe stop lol.
I'm romantic too...I spoil them lol.
But then again being with me is pretty hard work so they'd deserve it most the time LOL.

*MonkeyJaneJane
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I'm the SAHM type. Even if I didn't have Aoraphobia and that I would rather stay at home with the kids, I'm just not the working type. That's what would come first for me..my man and kids. I know it's each to their own but I really don't understand these women that would rather work than be with their kids. It makes me quite sad. They won't be little forever.
And yeah the cooking thing...I'd want to cook for him. It's just when it's expected and not apreciated is when I'd maybe stop lol.
I'm romantic too...I spoil them lol.
But then again being with me is pretty hard work so they'd deserve it most the time LOL.

exaclty i would rather be home with my kids, and my man, and i'm not the working type either...we both have pretty much decided that, i just wish his family wasn't so damn uptight and money this and money that, i'm like i didnt' come from money, i never had a lot of money growing up, so what's the big damn deal about HAVEING to have it all the time...lol i just bugs me...i hope one day he tells them all to go fuck themselves...lol

Jon Bon Jovi
03-05-2006, 02:06 AM
^I agree. I'm so not a money person 'cause that isn't what I know. Don't mean to sound "poor me" but we've never really had money. Only enough to just about get by..thanks to my father. So I don't really care about it. People/love is worth so much more to me.

Crazee
03-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't care if she works, just as long as she's feminine.lol

*~Leah Bia~*
03-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Fuck gender roles. The only thing that I believe a woman is supposed to do is cook and clean for her hubby. The rest as far as being lady like and shit...fuck that. I cuss like a trucker and can outburp any man.

Jon Bon Jovi
03-06-2006, 12:43 PM
lol, aslong as you look pretty doing it. Which you would.

Saoirse
03-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I don't care if she works, just as long as she's feminine.lol
didn't you post this before? :confused:
I only date intelligent women with a career in mind...

Stay at home mom? Not my thing.
I'll start a thread about this:D

*~Leah Bia~*
03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Actually, to be emotionally distant and career-driven is acting like a man.

Which...would be many of our single mothers and successful business women.

Feminity is considered a weakness, and is thrown out...which I would argue is far greater sexism than women not working.

W.O.W.

You never cease to amaze me.

Crazee
03-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Nah, I just have a lot of feminist friends that encourage women to work and obsess with careers and not focus on who they are as people. Women should be who they are... not throw into a box. I feel that a lot of women pressure women to act like men and be distant and career OBSESSED. That's an observation. I don't consider feminity to be a weakness at ALL, but it feels like ...there is pressure on women to take on masculine traits.I don't get that.

I personally support being whoever you want to be. I...don't see what I said that was offensive.:)

Oh, and Sara..I'd like her to be career minded. As in, she has a goal or did have goals. But ulatimately, what's more important to me is that she's feminine.